Friends Around the World

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Common Signs of Poisoning in Pets

Every day, your pet faces the possibility of becoming poisoned by food or possibly by pesticides left out for rodents to eat. Because different types of poisons affect pets differently, it can be very difficult to recognize the classic signs of poisoning unless you know specifically what to look for. If your pet is suddenly acting sluggish or sick, it is important to get them to an animal emergency hospital right away. It is also important to note whether or not your pet has been around any dangerous and potentially poisonous substances. The more information you can give the veterinarian regarding potential causes of your pet’s symptoms, the more likely your veterinarian will be able to give them the proper treatment they need in time.

Symptoms of Pet Poisoning

Signs of poisoning in your pet can be varied and can exhibit very suddenly. Depending on the type of poison consumed, your pet may experience symptoms that affect the kidneys, intestines, liver, and other body systems. Here are a few of the most common poisoning symptoms to look out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Pale gums
  • Excessive urination or thirst
  • Decreased urination
  • Lethargy
  • Collapse
  • Racing heart rate
  • Vomiting blood
  • Extremely bad breath
  • Jaundice/yellow gum discoloration
  • Tar-like black stool
  • Acting abnormally
If you notice any of these symptoms, take your pet to the veterinarian immediately in order to increase the chances of your pet’s survival and healthy recovery.

Most Commonly Reported Pet Poisonings

Every year, thousands of pets are poisoned accidentally. Some of the most commonly reported poison dangers for pets include:

  • Foods: Chocolate, grapes, raisins, xylitol, and other human foods are poisonous to dogs and can cause a variety of symptoms. When it comes to chocolate, there is no amount that is safe for your dog to eat, and it is especially dangerous if it is a dark and concentrated type of chocolate. The artificial sweetener xylitol is also toxic for dogs and can result in liver failure in the most severe cases. Grapes and raisins are also very poisonous to dogs and can cause kidney failure if consumed.
  • Rodent Poisons: Chemical rodent poisons are left out for mice and rats to eat, but they can easily be discovered and consumed by your pets. All rodenticides are packed with chemicals that can cause brain swelling, internal bleeding, severe vomiting, bloating, and kidney failure in pets. It is also possible for cats or dogs to be poisoned by eating a rodent that has already died due to ingesting rodenticides.
  • Insecticides: Insecticides are not only dangerous for human toddlers, but they are also toxic to pets. Pesticides and insecticides that contain organophosphates are especially life-threatening for small pets, even in very small amounts. It is also important to note that some tick and flea treatments are ok to give to your dogs, but those same treatments can be dangerous and even deadly for cats. When in doubt about the safety of flea and tick treatments, always read the labeling.
Losing a pet due to poisoning can be a very tragic and life-changing experience. To keep your pets as safe as possible, be sure to limit their exposure to places that may contain poisons, and keep them away from human food.

18 Smart Readers SAID::

Ashley said...

This is such an informative post, thank you for sharing! It is hard to keep your pet from being exposed to harmful toxins because of their curiosity, and a post like this could prove extremely helpful for catching the warning signs early.

Alli Smith said...

Great and informative post! I'm always telling my grandkids to refrain from sharing their food with our dog, Max, especially when they are eating chocolate.

Angelic Sinova said...

What an informative post! Thanks so much. I foster dogs in the summer for my local shelter. Most of the dogs we foster have just have surgeries and get a two week rest somewhere before finding their forever home. This signs are exactly what we look for in dogs to make sure everything is going well <3

CourtneyLynne said...

Ughhh this is definitely one of those kinda post you don't wanna read or think about, but at the same time it's such great stuff to know!

Liz Mays said...

I had no idea that grapes and raisins could cause kidney failure in dogs. This is so informative. Thanks for the information!

Heather Jones said...

This is good information, thankfully I don't think any of my pets have been poisoned, but now I know to be a little more careful with bug sprays.

Michelle Hwee said...

Oh man.. very informative indeed.. It is just so important to be extra careful and be knowledgeable on this subject. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Juro said...

These are great ways to detect if your animals are positioned. It’s hard to tell with animals since they can’t tell you kinda like small kids.

RUBY Caberte said...

Thank you for sharing Rose. I grew up with cats and dogs surrounding me. Based on my experience, I can attest to some of those symptoms you listed. We had dogs and cats that were poisoned too when I was still a child. :(

Margarita Ibbott @DownshiftingPRO said...

Honestly, it is amazing that our dog has not poisoned herself over and over with chocolate. She has managed to find hidden bags stashed away. Or so we thought.

Jamie Kathleen said...

The idea of my dog getting poisoned is so scary! Thanks for the info. One time my dog ate most of a digital pregnancy test and I was almost in tears on the phone with the Vet!

Boonie said...

Thank you for the information. It's something I don't really think about, and I have a wonderful puppy companion with me, and I would want to be mindful of signs of poisoning.

joy said...

The idea of an accidentally poisoned pet makes me really sad. I had no idea grapes and raisins were poisonous to dogs (not a dog owner)! My kids eat grapes and raisins around my brother's and cousin's dogs all the time. Now I know to be more careful about them dropping anything.

Rebecca Swenor said...

This is an amazingly helpful post indeed for the pet owner. Most people are unaware of the dangers to our pets when they consume some human foods. Thanks so much for sharing.

Chrissy Mazzocchi said...

Thansk so much for this information. It's always so sad when something like this happens to our Family pets.

Mommy Peach said...

Our dog ate something the other day that made him vomit. Good thing it stopped within the day when he has vomitted whatever it is that he ate accidentally

Natalie Made It said...

I don't have any pets, so for someone like me without animals this is a great list to keep on hand or at least read over for when we do decide to get a pet.

Bailey K. | Let Birds Fly said...

I google the crap out of any type of food or anything before I even think of giving it to my dog. I love them so so much! Thanks for this post, I think more pet owners need to be aware.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

About Me

My photo

A work-at-home-mom (WAHM) with  two  lovely kids and a loving husband.  Passionate in writing about  family, product reviews, and  other related articles.  A Mom, a Wife,  a Blogger/Writer, rolled into one.

Add This